Indiana Salvage Title

In the state of Indiana, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Indiana. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a IN Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many BMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the BMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local BMV.

3: Via a BMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local BMV office. Varying BMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the BMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your BMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Indiana Salvage Titles

In the state of Indiana, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by insurance companies if repairing the vehicle or rebuilding the vehicle costs 70 percent or more of its value. As a result, an Indiana Salvage Title will be issued for the vehicle, and as such cannot be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with an IN salvage rebuilt title can be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Indiana Salvage Titles, read below:

Applying for an Indiana Salvage Certificate of Title

If you plan on selling the vehicle, you'll need to apply for a Salvage Car Title at your local Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).You can bring, or request and fill out in person, a completed and signed Application for Certificate of Title, a Salvage Title Affidavit, and your Certificate of Title, Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Exemption form.

Note: You only need this form if you are transferring ownership and sales tax is not owed. You'll also need to bring a $4 title application fee.

Indiana Salvage Title Application/Form

In order to get your title to your salvaged vehicle, the BMV has made it easier for you by offering a complete application for salvaged vehicles packet. After completing all the requirements, you can then turn the paperwork into your local IN BMV branch.

Indiana Salvage Rebuilt Titles

To apply for an Indiana Salvage Vehicle Rebuilt Title you'll have to visit your local BMV office to complete or show the following:

Once the necessary forms are completed, a $15 title application fee will be required to complete the process.

To make it easier for you, the IN BMV offers a complete Salvage Motor Vehicle Restoration - Rebuilt Vehicle packet. If you choose to not go in person, you can complete the packet information and send it to:

Central Office Title Processing
100 North Senate Avenue
Room N41
Indianapolis, IN 46204.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Indiana

An abandoned vehicle title in Indiana can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. In order to claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in Indiana, you will have to contact the IN Bureau of Motor Vehicles Division and file a report. The BMV will give you a Transfer Ownership Form, and then contact the owner of the vehicle. If the owner does not respond, you will be contacted to complete the Transfer Ownership Form and the title will be issued to you.