Name Change On A Indiana Drivers License
If you have recently been married or divorced, or legally changed your name through a court proceeding and would like your driver license or identification to reflect this modification, you will need to register the change at a Bureau of Motor Vehicles location near you.
Select from the options below to get started.
2: by mail, if eligible (see instructions below)
3: In person at your local BMV office
You will need to bring:
- Proof of Name Change (see below)
- Proof of Identity (see below)
- Proof of residency (if you also changed your address)
To generate time-saving forms and for a complete checklist of the required and acceptable documentation Click Here
Proof of Identity
You need one document to prove your identity when you apply for a name change. The most common proof of identity documents include:
- United States Birth Certificate(Must be an original or certified copy)
- United States Passport.
- Foreign passport with a VISA and I-94 form.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
Proof of Name or Gender Change
Acceptable documents supporting a change include:
- Marriage License
- Divorce Decree.
- Court order approving a change of legal name
- Amended Birth Certificate showing a change of gender.